To be and not to be

There was this guy on our team in my previous company who was always surrounded by people. He would be seen imitating vadivelu’s mannerisms or would be talking out loud about something funny that happened in his life or how he messed up big time!!! He would hardly sit on his seat or solve issues, but most of the time would be seen talking with people. He had a knack of getting into any conversation and especially with senior management folks, who despite branding him as someone who only talks and never does his work, were always fond of him. Every time they would pull his legs saying he never does any task and would not assign any major activity to him, not as a serious reason and even will tell him openly that he can’t be trusted with critical work. But he was never penalized or escalated, mainly because nothing major or critical went to his queue and he was least bothered about them anyway. His primary and major skill set was communication and he was good at cricket. We used to tease him as the only person who joined IT support on sports quota!! He is presently heading Europe division for a major MNC in one of their key verticals. There was a similar character in my other company, whose story ended tad differently. Character wise both the guys where gems in their personal life and professionally the latter was a much better improvement on the former. Unfortunately he didn’t had the luck with similar kind of managers, who though were enjoying his company, marked him for life as someone who can never be promoted. 

People who get to smoke with their bosses or enjoy a drink now and then, are almost always on the lime light. There was a joke on this situation in FRIENDS sitcom, when Rachel would be losing out to her colleague because she smokes with their boss and Rachel doesn’t. She would try to mingle in but couldn’t manage the stick. Eventually, despite the try, she would get cut off from their circle. I had felt the same in my career as well. But I made sure that, my absence doesn’t hurt me but rather would be felt. Not always successful but it was a even steven mix.
I often get into this situation when the moment I notice my peers or fellow people start bootlicking their bosses, it sets me off in the other direction making me wantonly not to treat the boss like them, just to avoid getting stereotyped. Rather than making me the odd one out, it ends up with me feeling left out or wrongly understood as arrogant or timid. It puts me in a real spot most of the times. The one savior for me is my profile. Even while joking I’ve a straight face and people often think that I would rather exercise more of my facial muscles rather than opting for a simpler option of smiling. Which makes me the antithesis of those folks who make merry :) Probably, definitely, may be, it could’ve been a different and quicker way up the ladder had I been any different or more common?!! Not sure I would’ve liked to be that way though.

Comments

Ramesh said…
No, it wouldn't have been a quicker way up the ladder. Far from it.

In the past, when you worked for a company for life, it may have been worthwhile to bootlick. Not anymore. People change all the time. Sucking up to everybody is impossible.

The aura of "boss management" has been far too hyped. In reality, I don't think it ever worked in the long run. Merit will always make the difference eventually. Sure, you need communication and people interaction skills. Being a loner is not a good idea. But just social skills never got anybody very far.
gils said…
Thanks Thala and Athivasi madam for your detailed response. What I see here in cases where people suck up and others don't is that it's an enduring image that moves along with them. The kind of circle we have is very small and being in niche skills it's a really small world. Words to travel and many a times I have seen the feedback and commentary had made or break people. Hence the post. May not be the right thing but it surely exists.

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...