Being Crazy

I have often wondered, how people can idolize someone and show such blind faith. The fandom and the craziness with which they defend their heroes and literally worship them, I’ve often felt bad for not being able to enjoy such unbridled passion and love. I have always been nitpicking and choosy, going only by the performances and not on the individual. May be that is why I can never actually have a “favorite” actor/singer/musician whom I can blindly follow. If at all I’ve to break my norms and choose someone, it would be Sujatha, whose books I would ready any day any time, without bothering on a review. The next would be Crazy Mohan. I always felt, the person whom one idolizes, should be acceptable without controversy and should be relatable for general public. Of course, that is the baseline with which every hero worship begins. But without even realizing, Crazy Mohan had been such a great influence on my thoughts and words. I unabashedly and shamelessly try to imitate and copy his word play. More than copying, his style of timing and playing with words, have imbibed so much on me that, nowadays I’ve lulled myself into thinking that its original!!! I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve listened to his plays, on repeat modes, during my long commutes, to the extent that, I can quote the dialogues of most of his plays by heart.

I love watching his interviews. Most of the content would be so philosophical yet so funnily told that, anyone can grasp the depth of the point being put forth easily and it would stay with you forever. Some of his anecdotes may sound a repeat, especially about his interactions with Kamal, his teacher and how he ended up naming his characters after them, his family setup and its contribution to his plays etc. But there are certain key points and reasons behind reiterating them time and again. It shows his unshakeable faith on the people in his life. It shows his loyalty bordering on devotion towards those who helped him to be what he is at the moment. It shows sincerity beyond belief to praise and mention those who have mentored and shaped his life, never forgetting about it ever, despite it being told numerous times already, insisting the point that, if someone does good to you, it is not to be measured or quantified over a period of time, but to be remembered for life. The last video I remember of him, has a run time of close to 30 minutes. He mentions how his grandparents shaped his career and higher studies, at least once every 3 minutes and how his family is his pillar of strength, once every 5 minutes. Literally, repeating the same that he loves his family and he owes everything to his grandparents. In between there are humorous bits strewn in about his studies and other stuff in general. One may even be faulted for thinking, why is this guy telling the same thing so many times. But such is the earnestness with which he speaks that, one can never doubt that they are words directly from his heart.

He is such a versatile personality that, he is a master of the “Venba” form of poetry, a brilliant artist who has painted so many portraits, awesome world renown writer who churns out plays and short stories at drop of a hat, dialogue writer for movies and he knows a bit of magic as well, as evident from his “Chocolate Krishna” play!!! He is such an inspiration for so many that, beyond his plays and humor, as an out and out family man, he is probably the last of the Mohicans, who still believe in the concept of joint family and have enjoyed its benefits as well.

P.S: Strangely, by the time this post moved from drafts to live – he has breathed his last!! L

Comments

Ramesh said…
Oh - you wrote this before he suddenly passed away ?? What a coincidence.

I don't know much about him, but judging from what is being said, he was obviously much loved. Sad that he died suddenly .

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...