Awakening

Whenever I read meme’s, about the tricks used by parents to wake up their kid, I would be reminded of my own experiences. My mom would be busy in kitchen and usually it would be my dad who would be burdened with the task of waking me up. He would switch off the fan and I would be all sweaty, irritated and angry when I wake up enraged. My mom had a simpler way of waking me up – shout out my name and start scolding at increasing levels of decibel. You can never fight with someone who is more angrier than you. My poor dad used to bear the brunt of my anger. At times in fit of anger, I would switch on the fan and go to sleep again, only that the anger would’ve made me wide awake. May be he might have tried his best to nudge me awake and switching the fan off would’ve been his last weapon. I never thought about all those and only bore grudge for each time he employed such methods. Another peeve being, round neck banians. I was forever growing in size and for a really long time in my life, was unfit for readymade clothes. The round necks often, would result in me getting into baba Ramdev yoga style pose, stuck not knowing which way each hand or going. To top it all, my specs would get caught in between and it never helped my rage. I hated round necks for a long while and avoided them like plague till recent while.
When I relate these to junior, he has much more maturity and surprising calmness, dealing with similar situations. As my dad, I am entrusted with waking him up. In fact, I make it a point to wake him up rather than anyone else. I take a good amount of time to nudge him from his semi-sleep mode and would play with him for a while. My trick is to switch the lights on to full brightness and tickle him. He likes getting awakened like this and would be laughing. Pretty sure will neither have time or patience once he is into regular schooling and he would probably be the one who would be waking me up down the line, considering the odd hours at which schools start nowadays. And he loves round necks, by the way. Since he is so tiny, he can poke his head around every hole on the tee shirt to pose as ghost. The method and the person who are on the situation are still the same. From being at receiving end, I ended up on the other side of the table. But I really wish, I understood these better with my dad. He never complained one bit when I used to get angry and considering how bad it makes me feel for waking up a sleeping kid, I am pretty sure, he wouldn’t have loved it himself. Wish I had a chance to talk to him some time and apologize for a whole lot of things that my kid is making me realize.

Comments

Ramesh said…
Ah well - welcome to the joys and the experiences of fatherhood ! And finally the understanding of what our own fathers went through.

But really - you had a vendetta against round neck banians ??? I shall hereby gift you a full set of the tightest and smallest variety to see you contort into a Ramdev like pose :)
Vincy said…
hmmmm.. this is the phase in life where you get enlightenment on parenthood, especially of your own parents. trust me we would be better people just realising the efforts and intent behind what our parents did to us.

And just imagine we take that long to realise it !!!
Vincy said…
and by the way, i like the new look !!! of your blog

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...