Rock Rock Rockyyyyyyy

Adrian asks Rocky "Why you want to be a fighter". Rocky replies, in his typical twang " because i cant sing or dance".

"Adrian, i never asked you not to be a woman. Dont ask me to stop being a man. I am a fighter and i have to fight"

"I am dumb and you are shy..We sure do make a real sharp couple of coconuts"

"Because i dont think you can win" cries Adrian.

"No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know." and he goes away.

Let me be honest. I am not a big fan of Stallone. All his movies are predictable. He gets bashed to a pulp but somehow manages to scrap through beating the villain in the end. But Rocky and Rambo series are glorious exceptions. I've lost count how many times i've seen Rambo - First blood and part two of it. As a kid i used to tie a kerchief on my forehead, imagining non existent biceps and hold LEO toys gun ala Rambo style :) That toy gun had an never diminishing count of bullets and all of them hit the mark wherever i shoot, well all in my imagination of course :) i was crazy over toy guns all credit to Rambo.

Like all school kids boxing with dad was a favourite pastime of mine too. My dad used to talk about the first movie in the 6 part series. I couldnt understand anything that time except that the name was catchy. ROCKY. Thanks to Movies Now channel, who have been telecasting the series round the clock, i managed to catch up on all the parts. I had my own apprehensions while watching the first part as it was very dull and dragging at times. But cometh the climax cometh the punch. The timid innocent loan shark under dog boxer, goes neck to neck in fight with the champion and though he loses in the end, he wins everyones heart. It compelled me to watch the other parts too and needless to say i got hooked on to the series :) The Rocky character is so endearing and simple that, its almost like a toy in itself. There is a scene in the first part of the movie where Rocky tries to advice a gal in his neighbourhood. She slams the door on him shouting "Creepo". He looks stunned for a minute and then trudges away thinking he is no better. LOVED IT. The same character makes a comeback in the final part too. But throughout the six part series, the Rocky character maintains its deeply religious and unassuming innocence. No wonder Americans add up Rocky along with their comic heroes. That character deserves its iconic status.

Watching the series i realised how many movies have been inspired by this character. Especially the way he trains - running up the steps. I guess thats one of the most inspirational scenes ever in movies. The background music is also awesome. If at all i ever get a chance to go to Philadelphia, i would love to do a ROCKY like run on those steps :)

Winding up with the best quote from the movies final part.

Rocky to his son:

"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!"

Comments

RamNarayanS said…
Me no remembering any oodles and oodles of vasanam like you do, but one whoa! moment for me was in Rocky IV, when he is in USSR. Boy, when he trains, I felt that I would also get up and run with him in the snow or lift the logs. And I think there is an awesome song (music) that goes with it. All in all, the whole training sequence made my hair stand on end. :-) (Went to YT and saw it again now. :D)
Ramesh said…
Methinks reality is better than fiction. The films were loosely inspire by the great legend, but the story of Rocky Marciano (the real one) is a great one.
chennaigirl said…
Rocky mania is going in here as well. In rocky 2, he would go down even before round 3 , and P started crying just seeing that and refused to see the movie further.
Asha said…
The red bandana and guns and rambo t-shirts were a rage then with kids and elders. Were'nt they? But I can't understand or like those movies. They give me a throbbing headache.

Having said that, Rocky's words to his son simply rocks. those are the words of a winner.
Aarti said…
Love that quote too!! :))

Looks like too much inspiration from movies off late !! :D
Avada Kedavra said…
I am yet to watch Rocky.. havent seen even a single part :( But yea I have done soemthing that you wanna do.. run on those steps :D Did that and also they have a Rocky statue erected there in that exact same posture.I have a pic of mine with Rocky.. Dialogues are really good.. all the ones you have put here make me wanna watch the movie..Great post..My dad is a big fan of Rocky too.. Let me get hold of it.
gils said…
@rammmmm:
:) antha traning seq evlopadathula sutrukaanga teriyuma :)

@thala:

:) unga rangey thani thala :)
gils said…
@cg:

:)) i want to see ur kid :)

@asha:

headachea...enna koduma ithu :)

@rt:

hehehee...
gils said…
@ak:

wowww..u did run on those steps is it...kewl

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Dasavatharam

Pirivom Santhippom