Interview with Bragz

For long I have wanted to conduct an interview of a famous personality. I always love to ask questions than answer and reading the interviews on the dallies and weeklies, always used to wonder how the preparations would be. When I finally managed to coax one, I was at a loss as to what should i ask. For those who are regulars in this blog space, Brags is not just my source for novels that I get to read and enjoy, he is also an established author by himself. A true svaymbu if at all anything, he sculpted himself into what he is now and has already published 3 books with lots of short stories series in the offing. A versatile person, who dabbles into lot many things, be it online marketing, content creation, a master on trendy apps, event management and a well-known blogger he was kind enough to share his experiences and thoughts for some of the most trivial questions he would’ve ever been questioned across all the interviews he had ever faced.

Brags- siru kurippu varaiga

Siru kurippu ellam kashtam. I was born and brought up in Tirunelveli. Had a good schooling and great experiences there. When I finished college, I had no clue about what to do and I joined a data entry company. Things were going good until my mother sought transfer to Chennai where my brother was working. So we had to move as a family. That is how I was uprooted. It took one year to get a job and I stayed in that job for four years. And the rest of the jumps happened so quick for me and I donned a variety of roles in the next six years. Like any good parents, my parents want me to settle down. When marriage alliances didn’t work out, they tied me down to a house loan EMI. That is how I settled down in Avadi.

How important was the decision to move to Chennai from native a factor in deciding who/what you are now? Was it a good or bad choice?

I guess it turned out pretty well in the end. I can’t imagine what I would be doing if I was still in Tirunelveli. It is a great place, there is no doubt about it. But Chennai shaped me and it taught me what I really wanted to do and introduced me to some great human beings. These guys were so selfless and took time to teach me stuff and were happy to see me succeed. It was definitely a good choice which I didn’t make. But I made the best out of it. For first three years in Chennai, I didn’t like one day in this place. I always wanted to go back. But then the city grew on me.

This multi-hatter personality as author, writer, online apps enthusiast, networking, sales, movie enthusiast - was this planned? How it happened?

None of it was planned. . In fact almost all of it happened accidentally. The biggest plan I do is to plan my next meal. I don’t look beyond that. So when I came to Chennai and couldn’t find a job, I spent the whole time in Connemara Library. That is how I improved my English. And to have it in practice I kept writing my thoughts down, first in a diary and then in blogs. And slowly I had some traffic generated for blogs. I was good with fiction than non-fiction because my imagination was colorful rather than my mundane life. While I was at it, I got a promotion in work to marketing department. FB had just rolled out the business profile and stuff at that point of time so I was trained, given workshops regarding the future of it. So that is how I moved into Social Media marketing. Before Social media happened, we had to hard sell everything. The thing about bringing new leads organically and nurturing them and making the masses who had no idea about services to be ready for us, was interesting and I grasped the basics in a very short time.
While these things were happening in the professional front, I became a member of Indiblogger and eventually I was introduced to Chennai Bloggers Club. The things I read in the library days came in handy and in fact I found a lot of people who were experts in their respective field elaborate what they were working on. When I moved to night shifts, I had to travel three hours one way in cab to office. So I always had movies in my phone to kill time. Slowly I moved beyond Tamil, Telugu, English movies and started exploring new movies. I always had a thing for stories. It can be from movies, books, series or people. I take a keen interest on that. And that is how all these things happened. I was just seeking and genuinely interested in their stories.

Why writing?

Why not writing? Basically I like to be left alone and at the same time I long for company. When I go out with people it is very easy to put me off and for me to get bored. Writing came to rescue. And I was amazed by the connect it gives with other people. Writing is only next to music in that aspect and I can never be good at music. So I took the next big thing. Also, I stammered a little bit when I was a kid. The urge to tell all I want without stammering and also without interruption is a deep buried need of mine. Writing fulfils it.

What does security means for you - financially, personally, professionally

I wonder whether this is a trick question. Because I for one will never know what security will mean. Financially, Personally and Professionally. But I know this, if I am getting enough dosage without any problem for a period of time, I grow uncomfortable. I feel like I am worthless even if I had people around me, earning well or a good job. I like challenges. So security means, alarm clock to wake up and run.

Would you say writing for you or anyone who aspires,  can become a career at any point of time? do you think our country has mature space for budding writers to choose it as a career which pays their bills?

Not only writing, but people practicing any art forms have tough time. Unless we put our mind and soul to the art and gain fellowship it won’t pay the bills. As a matter of fact, people have started consuming art for free. We don’t buy music anymore. We just stream. We don’t go to art shows. We google. We are heading towards the world of atlas shrugged and I don’t see a light at the end of tunnel.


What motivates you to do whatever things you do?

To the things we love doing, I guess there is no need of motivation. If I had to push myself to do something I don’t do it. It is as simple as that. I really do not have any motivation other than being happy while doing things.

Interesting. How do you know the things you love? for people who work for payslips on 1 st day of the month, work is not a motivator but more of a monotonous and unavoidable routine. what is your take on this?

The question answers itself I guess. As a developing nation, we were taught and we preach that we have to contribute for the greater good. Sometimes it also means we sacrifice our time and effort too. When I met with an accident, I had lot of time to think about what I really I wanted to do. And what would give me peace. Most of us don’t have that time for reflection. We have filled our free time with one chore or another. When we get out of that routine, we can see what is that we really like doing.

And after that, a little bit of market research and loads of networking, we may find a way to earn doing what we like to do. It’s hard work and takes a lot of time. But it’s worth it.


So many people listen/respond for your posts on SM/FB. What is the reason according to you? Not many get such response. And what is the secret behind your popularity amongst your friend and peers

People really care about me that is for sure. I don’t know if I am popular or not. Regarding the social media posts, I try to keep it less noisy as possible. I don’t comment on or share other people’s posts unless or otherwise I have firsthand experience in the matter discussed. And I don’t make status just like that. In the years I have been in social media I have curated and curated my friends list to  have some good people who are up for discussions both online and offline. Perhaps that makes engagement easier in my blog posts as well as social media posts. And as I said I am always eager for stories. When I show genuine interest in people, they give you back the attention you deserve.

There are lot of debates in SM on what is art and who is an artist? what is your stand on this?

The debates in social media is just noise. Art and definition of artist is very personal for each individual to put it up for discussion. But generally, the debate comes out because of self-proclaimed artists giving out their work too soon. That is an insult to the process. To me art is something that is structure less and is ultimate expression of our thoughts and ideas. Artist is someone who evolves enough to understand his thought process and express it with utmost sincerity and honesty. Rest is just bull crap.

How do you manage your time? for a person who is always punctual how do you keep up amidst doing so many things?

I just do one thing at a time. I suck at multi-tasking and I would never venture there. Most of my plans are done in the weekend. Or at least a day before. Whenever I get out of my house to meet someone I would club it with other chores or schedule meetings with people on the same day. It helps a lot. I have this Sunday evening ritual to set down an agenda for the week. The tasks listed down during this session will take priority over anything that comes adhoc. I have dedicated time for my hobbies as well as profession so that they wouldn’t overlap.


Any tips for writing? reading?

There can be only one tip as far as I am concerned. If you want to be a writer, you just have to sit and write. And then start taking courses, seek feedback, write again. I really don’t have any tips for reading. Before reading there is a process called seeking. If you are not aware of what you want to read and why you want to read, the tons of book you peruse have no meaning at all.

Wishing Bragz much more success in all his endeavours. Visit his blog @bragadeeshprasanna.com

Comments

Divya N said…
Wow! Fantastic thoughts - shared with a lot of panache. The part about " why writing" really resonates with me as I write for the same reason. Great effort in putting together such an interview
Ramesh said…
Enna Saar Gilsu. Important questions ellam kekkavey illaye ?

Yaaru favourite heroine ?
Tiruneveli halwavin ragasiyam
Gilsu movie reviews besta ?

etc etc

Seriously - Bragz- you are a star.
Aarti said…
Enjoyed this... So much fun to read.. here's to more books more fame and name brags

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Dasavatharam

Pirivom Santhippom