Lessons from the little one

Watching junior and how he reacts to situations is one of my favorite pastime. Would you believe if I tell that, I actually get to learn few things on mingling with people and how to respond to situations better by watching him!!? Yeah it’s a given that i will always be a work in progress and even kids born yesterday have better grasp at these things!!!

Being in Chennai and dreading autos is akin to Mumbai and cribbing about its rail network. Whenever I had to book an auto, without using any app for the same, it is nothing short of a hell raising adventure. My BP will shoot up to stratosphere when they quote whatever amount that comes in their mind as fare, unfair would be an apt term for the rates they quote. At times I would retort with an equally rubbish amount to counter, only to irritate them back. If somehow the negotiation happens and I do take the ride, would be feeling pissed all through the trip, till I get down. Junior, who doesn’t have to bother about these yet, will be enjoying the fast breeze on his face and would be pointing and naming the familiar sights on the way. While getting down, without failing every single time, he would say “Thank you” and “Bye” to the driver. Invariably, every single time, the driver smiles and responds back with a wave and “bye” as well. He will give me a look like “appanukum pullaikum sambandhamay illa”.

Another thing that I am trying to copy from junior is his sense of gratefulness. He would never forget to say “Thank you” to anyone who does things for him. He would expect you to revert the same for him, when he does things for you. Once he was pestering me to get him his toy box from the top shelf. I knew for a fact that, within minutes, every walkable space on the floor would be littered with them. But when he folds his hands and looks at you with his puppy eyes and says “pleeeaase”..well.. it sure is worth picking those pieces hundred times from the floor. After getting the box, he let out a yelp of joy and said “Thank you”. I was embarrassed for a second and felt like saying, you don’t have to thank me. But felt, it was a good gesture, worth maintaining on him and probably me as well. I was searching for the TV remote and was asking out loud where it was when he came up behind me and with a naughty smile pointed where he had hid the remote. I was glad he hadn’t thrown it away and when I took it, he asked me to say thanks to him. I laughed and said “Thank you” which was responded back with a “very welcome” ala Air India Maharaja pose!! He does it every time with auto drivers, cab drivers, school aaya akkas and teacher as well. I hope he retains this trait life long and doesn’t get frustrated when not responded back.

Comments

SaRa said…
Melting......Lots of love to Junior. Light the world, baby!!

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...