ABC murders by Agatha Christie - book review

Ever since I read the “8 perfect murders” was eagerly looking forward to reading the recommendation list from that book on best murder mysteries ever, according to one of the characters in that book. And from that list, this name caught my fancy immediately. Agatha Christie is not my favorite author, despite my liking for thrillers for the simple reason that, the English in her stories were often beyond my vocab level and quite a few foreign language sentences would be there with no translations on subsequent dialogues, especially French. It was a major put off for me when I started reading the hard bounds. Now that I have majorly shifted to e-versions, it is slightly easier to check for the translations or meanings. But even then it quite disturbs the flow, at the cost of learning a new word, messing the essence of the thrill. And another peeve being that, my inability to understand the naivety or the fragile health of the characters from that era. When the character cries out aloud some dialogue, I can’t quite imagine how it would’ve been in real. Also it deals about an era on which I’ve no clue, especially around the lifestyles. Basically very difficult to imagine the setup. The character names never go easy on the eye as well.
The only book that I’ve relished of hers had been “And then there were none”. Loved the movie version as well in Hindi. But this book was not a let down for sure. It was simple in language and not too many French words. More than anything it was a simple flow from start to finish and the ending was WOW!! I was rooting for split personality and was imagining what a novel concept it would have been six seven decades before to even think of such plots. That was not the reveal and was slightly disappointed with a rather simpler solution. But the twist was awesome and the way he constructed it was amazing to say the least. Overall a nice read and off to start “Three blind mice” next.

Comments

Ramesh said…
Mon Dieu. Vous lisez le français? Très impressionné. Lorsque cette crise sera terminée, vous parlerez couramment le français.

Le meurtre sur l'Orient Express est suggéré ensuite. Un de ses livres classiques.

:):)
gils said…
Enna thala ivlo typo nu thaan commentpoda vanthen. Appalika translate poatapo thaan velangichu. I am a triple imbecile!!! :D orient express list la keedhu. Will post
Savitha said…
Isn't Agatha Christie a woman?! Somehow, I thought so....

The first full length novel that I read was 'And then there were none'. Was not v impressed. That's the only book of her I have read.

Those days I was very very smitten by The Prodigal Daughter. I was planning to become the Indian president then :P
gils said…
Avvvvvvvvvv... Same pinch with prodigal daughter.

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...