Jaya he

As India celebrates its 75th I Day, just realized this space has seen 16 of that special day!! I am an unabashed nationalist who doesn’t have any inhibition in saying my nation is the greatest. It is probably one of the most defining mis-statement ever, applicable for any country. But no nationalist, in their true sense would shy away from saying the same. Of course, they know in their heart as well as any other next person that, the statement is light years away from truth. But the intent behind the statement being, some day as in certain very niche and micro areas, how the nation has always surpassed its peers, it may grow into the greatest across majority of spheres. It is a forward looking statement, full of positivity about the country and not to be taken at face value or in literal sense. I belong to that group of individuals who would cheer for India, across any game be it goli, gilli or ludo. During my school days we used to play a dumbed down version of battleship and there would be a separate battle as to who would tag India to themselves. Best part being, if you don’t play well and lose with India as the tagged country, even the person playing the attack would feel bad!! Whenever I read news about India meddling in affairs of other countries, it would feel like a parent who has been told their kid did major mischief. The same reaction from the parents, defending their kids, who according to them are incapable of such things, would apply to these scenarios as well. The more you understand and mature in your thought process about your country, the more disillusioned and afraid one become of its future. Beyond a certain age, people simply give up and looking at their parents, their kids frame a different mindset about their roots and nation, growing on to despise it even more. In my family, wifey is a hyper nationalist to say the least. Whenever there is national anthem playing, she would stand up..andha leveluku muthina case :) I love her spirit and absolute belief which at times feels long lost and distant for me. The fervor with which I used to see India as a country during my school days and where I am now, seems quite distant and different, whereas she still retains the same sense of righteousness. In fact, Junior, being an “amma kothandaraman”, takes right after her. In January, during the republic day parade that was being telecasted in a news channel, the anthem was playing in background. He was playing with his blocks at that time and I didn’t realize the reason why he was saluting the tv till she pointed it out to me beaming with pride!! For this 75th year celebration, ours was the only apartment in the whole building with hoisted flag, pictures of flag with message drawn by junior stuck on the door and junior doing videos carrying the flag…oray the kondaattams of india thaan.  

His mom had taught him the anthem and he has already knows it by heart. Fact remains he doesn’t know the difference between any other song he has learnt and this special one. But I am quite sure he would be as thrilled as his mom when he gets to know the history. I don’t know what defines India, whether is it the map, topography, place where I stay, the seal on my passport or anything else. But right or wrong, ennoda Bharath eppovum mahaan thaan. Happy on the hopes that junior may follow suit in same line of thinking till he realizes the other side. Until then..

Comments

Ramesh said…
Mmmmm. I am not a fan of hyper nationalism.

Sure, I am proud to be an Indian and the heart wells with pride. But that is the end of it. I would also prefer to be a global citizen recognising the good in every country and culture. You see the trouble with excessive nationalism is that everybody else is by definition inferior and even the slightest hint of an affront leads to outrage and sadly sometimes violence. A great example is China, where it has ben drilled into the population (who hear nothing else) about how great they are, how everybody else is out to get them and how inferior every other culture is.

So, yes and no to nationalism !

How is Junior an amma kothandaraman - he seems to be playing with you all the time .
gils said…
I love india.. Avlothaan namma nationalism. Matha country pudikaathu alavuku po maaten🙂🙂for jr I am his bro..and for playing. But his mom is world for him

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...